By: Meagan Baron
July 24, 2019
Do you now have to have bike insurance for your motorcycle in Washington? YES!
What is this new bike law that you might have heard buzzing about?
Well…Just like how your car needs auto insurance, starting this Sunday, July 28, 2019, you will need to have motorcycle insurance on your Harley, Yamaha, Honda, or whatever kick start you are cruising on these days.
The open road might be calling, but if you don’t get auto insurance soon, your wallet could be calling it quits. After next week, if you were to get into a motor vehicle accident or get pulled over for whatever reason, you could come face-to-face with thousands of dollars in fines. Your bike is now like your car—you need to at least have liability insurance, and if you don’t, fines can be pretty hefty!
Limits on your liability bike policy have to…
- Cover at least $25k regarding the injuries or death of another person involved in the accident.
- Cover a minimum of $50k for all other people involved.
- Have $10k or more available to cover damage to another person’s property.
Or, you have other options for insuring your motorcycle:
- You can get a $60k liability bond with a Washington authorized surety bond company.
- You could self-insure, but you must have 26 or more vehicles to do so. Talk to Department of Licensing for more details.
We know this situation sucks for some, and we want to help make the transition easier. If you need a new policy, want to add to your current policy, or have any questions at all, we are just a phone call or click away! You can talk to us on here via our LiveChat in the bottom right corner, or give us a call at 425-320-4280. Additional details on the new Washington state motorcycle law can be found here.
After you get your bike insurance, where do you want to cruise? If you’re looking for some new Washington sightseeing thrills, here are some ideas that you might love brought to you by Rider Magazine.
Happy riding and safe travels from your friends at Mosaic!